Monday, August 31, 2009

sometimes you want to indulge without breaking the bank



A food review seems slightly off topic, but hear me out...

Most of us active types find ourselves consuming quite a few energy bars and gels. Sometimes I make mine, sometimes I get a little more creative with my snacks and go the non-bar route, and sometimes I just want to grab a bar and go.

Then there are the days when I just want (need?) some chocolate.

That's when I'm super thankful of my discovery of the Clif Bar Z-bar in the chocolate brownie flavor. Yeah, they're technically targeted at kids. That generally doesn't stop me, and certainly doesn't here.

With 120 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 12g of sugar they don't break the caloric bank. Compare that to a Snicker's bar which packs 266 calories, 11 grams of fat, and 28 grams of sugar. To compare to something similar, one of the Luna bar chocolate flavors has 180 calories and 6 grams of fat. Plus they're made of organic ingredients, don't have any high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils, and etc. Seriously good stuff!

More importantly, they TASTE good. They satisfy the chocolate craving without being overly sweet, but are sweet enough to pack a chocolate punch. One afternoon I thought I'd push my limits and eat two in a row and it was actually too much!

I might try the other flavors at some point, but for now I'm just going to hoard the good stuff.

Editor's note: They do make an adult-sized chocolate brownie flavor, but it does not taste the same!

2 comments:

  1. I buy boxes of Clif Bar Minis, which are similar but slightly smaller (100 cal, 2g fat, 9g sugar). They come in chocolate brownie, chocolate chip, and crunchy peanut butter (my fave). No idea whether the chocolate brownie's the same recipe as your Zbar, EB ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not. The Z-Bar tastes infinitely better.

    ReplyDelete