Friday, August 28, 2009

not so funny



I used to make fun of convertible pants. They were, to my eyes, unfashionable and downright dorky. "You'll never catch me wearing something like that," I smugly told myself.

Then one day, I rediscovered what I love most (spending as much time as possible in the dirt, or anywhere but inside a formal building). I quickly found my wardrobe shifting from "That is weekday and this is definitely only weekend wear" to "Wow my weekend garb is so comfy (and just as expensive as those fancy jeans!), maybe I can just wear it Mondays and Fridays...you know, Transition Days" to "You mean I have to take them off? But I don't wanna take 'em off until I'm throwing them in the washer!"

I thank the folks at prAna for the abnormally rapid transition.

I bought their convertible pants in an army green and honestly didn't look back. They are, for one, so incredibly durable. I proved this with much butt-sliding on rocks, and a few head-first tumbles, on our Smokies trip. A klutz like me NEEDS durable.

They also zip to a nice "knicker" length, which for me hits just below my knees. I'm not really a fan of shorts unless I have to wear them for practical purposes, so this gives me cool summer ventilation without sacrificing too much on that front. They boast a very flattering fit in the pants or knickers length: a lot harder to achieve than I initially thought! I tried on many, many pairs before deciding these were perfect. If I'm going to wear them that frequently I want them to look good.

And unlike my North Face convertibles the bottom portions actually fit over my boots when I decide I want to take them off in the middle of a hike. (Those North Face do not, so you have to decide pre-boots if you're going long or short. For me, anyway.)

And finally, the cargo pockets are spacious and forgiving. I often cheat on my backpack weight by shoving last-minute items in my pants. I often push the limit of what they can hold, and so far so good with that strategy!

I've given my prAnas some pretty heavy wear and they're holding up beautifully.

Grade: A+++

1 comment:

  1. prAna would be awesome if they made their pants in long lengths. I can't get away with normal/average length. This is probably the toughest type of clothes for me a to buy -- active pants. Glad they worked for you, though!

    ReplyDelete