Thursday, October 15, 2009

So what do you wear UNDER the cute hiking pants???


Deep down, even us outdoorsy women, who rub mud on our cheeks in caves like it's war paint, occasionally want to feel like that delicate sweet ideal girl who never sweats and whose farts smell like roses... It's pretty much not going to happen on a 20 mile long run or an 11 hour hike in the mountains, so we settle for things like the right underwear and socks.

I had been coveting Patagonia boy shorts for months, maybe years, but could not bring myself to spend $25.00 per pair for underwear. Finally, the big Patagonia sale about two months ago lowered the price to $8.00 per pair, about $12.00 per pair with shipping when I bought two. I take it all back, I would pay the $25.00!

What makes these so wonderful as to make them worth so much, you ask? Well, I'm sure you know what the wrong underwear when working out can feel like... Cotton gets wet and stays wet, leading to chafing and just general unpleasantness. Other synthetic fabrics might dry quickly but smell bad. The Patagonia boy shorts are juuuuuust right. The material is soft and comfortable, and it dries quickly, which is useful both during wear and when you are washing them in the sink of an Alpine hut on a six day hiking trip where the drying rooms sometimes work and sometimes do not.

What else makes these wonderful for such a trip, you ask? Well, when you are sharing rooms in bunkhouses with 6 of your closest friends (who hail from both genders), modesty tends to be thrown to the wayside. As someone who generally does not like to let it all hang out in front of others, the level of coverage provided by boy shorts is a big bonus for me in a group setting. Far more territory is covered in boy shorts and a good sports bra than the average bathing suit, so I did not have to squiggle around in my sleeping bag every time I wanted to change my pants!

They have also passed the comfort test on a 20 mile long run. This is no small feat, as there is very little comfort to be found in any run over 15 miles...

And, the final bonus? They look nice! The colors and designs are cute and feminine. This is definitely one case where I say to go ahead and spend the money. Whether backpacking, running a marathon or just lounging around, you can definitely get your $25.00 worth on a pair of these...

Grade: A+

3 comments:

  1. I don't have the boy shorts, but I do have a couple of pairs of the underwear and LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking at these (not the boy short version) and wondering if they were worth the price! Backcountry has them for $20.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worth. Every. Penny. and then some.

    ReplyDelete