Friday, October 9, 2009

A Miracle Happened!

Last weekend, during the last of my twenty-mile runs in preparation for the Marine Corps Marathon, I ran twenty-one miles—are you ready for this?—blister free! That’s right, people, blister free!

Never before in my life have I run that kind of distance without experiencing some sort of major foot discomfort (i.e., run myself lame) and I credit it to the following things:

First, I was running on nice, even terrain on a cool, fall morning.

Second, I remembered to pre-tape and lubricate my problem spots.

And third, I got new socks.





As our other blister-prone contributor will attest, those who suffer the curse are almost always trying out one new sock or other. Myself, I’ve run the gamut: Wrightsocks, Thorlos, REI brands, etc. None have lived up to their claims, and all have left me feeling fleeced and better off in my el cheapo rotten cotton.

Until now.

Drymax, how I love thee!

On a whim, and in a fit of desperation, I bought a pair of Drymax Maximum Protection Running v4 socks from ZombieRunner.com, a website devoted to all things ultrarunning. I figured if anybody knew anything about running blisters it’d be a bunch of crazy ultrarunners. And it didn't hurt that Runner's World Magazine rated them best blister-prevention sock in a recent poll in its May 2009 issue.

From the first moment I put them on and slipped them into my shoes, I had high hopes for these socks; it felt like I was walking on clouds. They fit slightly snugger than the Thorlos and Wrightsocks I was used to and seemed to be made of a greater percentage of synthetic fibers.

Under close observation, Drymax seems to have taken the best features from Thorlo, Wrightsock, Balega, and other brands and combined them into something undoubtedly more effective. Like Wrightsock, they have moisture-wicking dual layers; like Thorlo, they have extra padding in the footpads. Like Balega, the tops of the socks are a lighter, breatheable mesh.

The padding distinguishes itself from Thorlo, however, in that is coarser and a bit more nubby, with more space between the fibers – which actually seems to work better at wicking moisture away from the feet instead of simply absorbing it.




Usually, I change my socks at mile ten of a twenty-miler, but last Sunday I didn’t. I kept on the Drymax to see how my feet’d fare, and they worked beautifully in conjunction with my taping. I was still smiling at the end of my run, and not limping in the slightest – despite wearing the same shoes that shredded my feet two weeks before.

Really, I wouldn’t change a thing about the socks, except maybe the price. It traumatized me to pay $23.95 for a pair of socks. But given that they live up their claims, I can see myself spending another $23.95 in the very near future, maybe more – especially since they make hiking socks, too. But that’s a whole ‘nother blog.

Grade: A+

3 comments:

  1. I've seen your feet. Everyone should buy these socks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheaper here. http://tinyurl.com/yjw87xd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, trust her, I've grossed her out plenty of times:)

    Thanks for the link, Chris. Nothing better than a great product than a great product on saaaaaale! Almost five bucks off a pair! [happydance]

    ReplyDelete