Friday, October 2, 2009

Guest Review: My First Vertical Gear

As noted before, we will occasionally feature guest reviews by trusted friends and colleagues. Today's review comes from Cristy F.: architect, AOC member, and outdoorswoman extraordinaire.



Vertical Caving Essentials: Seat harness (A), 1/2 Moon Galvanized Carabiner (B), Croll (C), Chest Harness (D), Left Ascender (E), 7mm Oval Carabiner (F), 2 Safety Straps (G), Foot Loop (H), Double Cowstail (I), 2 Non-locking carabiners (J), Right Ascender (K), Stainless Steel 5 bar with Hyper Bar Rappel Rack (L), Screwgate Carabiners (M,N), Gloves (not pictured) and Webbing (not pictured).

Vertical caving is a specialized sport that should not be embarked upon without proper training and guidance. Please keep that in mind before dashing across the internet for awesome gear, and seek professional help before going vertical.

Vertical Gear. Once you decide to buy it, you can't wait to get on rope. However, every caver has a different opinion on what style of gear to choose, where to buy it, and once you get it, how to assemble it.

I decided to go with the "Frogging" style of gear. Frogging gear is best for shorter, beginner climbs, and in general for climbs that are gnarly and dirty (the way I like them). It also gives the beginner a chance to get used to being on rope with a system that is simple to safety check.

I am happy with my gear. I purchased everything from Gonzo Guano Gear and I feel I got the best combination of value for money. You can also purchase very reliable gear from the nice people at Inner Mountain Outfitters, and if you're in the Atlanta area or meet up with them at the Cave-In you'll have the added advantage of trying everything on before you buy it.

Much of the gear is standard component and falls in the category of "If It's Safe, It's Good". I should have purchased additional 7mm Oval Carabiners for all my strap to ascender connections. Opinions mainly vary on four items: the chest harness (go for the H type), the foot loops (with the double you can use both one foot or two), the seat harness, and the rappel rack.

I purchased the Gonzo Guano Gear (GGG) Caver Seat Harness and have sat in it for a few trips. It is not a maserati harness! It is the simplest harness you can buy assembled and ready to go. I have learned to have clothing between my upper waist and my harness to avoid little rub/cuts on the sides of my stomach. Smaller people have problems with the leg loops falling down. Men have issues with the leg loops and what is between their legs. At this point I am not a pit bouncer, spending all day on rope. I like to drop the pit and explore the cave so the slightly lower comfort level is not a problem. If I start spending days at a time on rope I will spring for a cushier harness, but at this point I am happy with my simple, cost effective, safe harness (B- on this one).

On the other hand, the SMC Stainless Steel 5 bar rack with BMS Hyper Bar is one of my favorite pieces of gear. It looks rather odd and is all metal and clanky so you feel like you are about to do something fun when you pick it up. Whenever it is attached to my harness I know an adrenaline rush is on its way, and I know that my life depends on it. Many people recommended mini-racks and others asked why I wanted 5 bars and a hyperbar. This rappel rack is special. It is a solid piece of safety equipment; I can lock myself off so completely that nothing could budge me, which makes me happy. Since it is friction-friendly stainless steel and not aluminum it is an appropriate rack for the long rope drops of the future while still being perfectly acceptable for short ones. People might laugh at you, but insist upon it, 5 bars AND a hyperbar, in Stainless Steel. Some assembly is required (A++).

Overall I give the whole gear package an A!

No comments:

Post a Comment