Wednesday, July 1, 2009

'Tis the season...


...For running. Ok, actually, it's totally not, but this is the weekend of the Peachtree Road Race, the world's largest and most popular road race for reasons entirely beyond my comprehension, so I figured, why not write a review about running shoes and how to shop for them.

I learned the hard way that you don't just show up at the sporting goods store and buy the high-rated, expensive shoe. In January 2008, while training for my first big race, I decided that I would buy some "serious" running shoes. I promptly made my way to Dick's Sporting Goods, where I picked up a pair of $130.00 Saucony shoes that were heaven on my feet. (Of course, they were last year's model, and marked down to about half off. I may be an impulse buyer, but I am still cheap.) Runner's World loved these shoes and had them listed as one of the best of 2007. These shoes were so soft on the inside I wore them everywhere just so my feet could be in them. Totally jazzed about the new investment, I ran two 7 milers on a week when my long run was only supposed to be 5 miles. I thought I was unstoppable.

About 3 days after the second of these 7 mile runs, as I was running an easy 2-3 miles on the treadmill after work, I was in agony. That night my ankle was so swollen I could barely stand on it. I ended up with an overuse injury that put me out of the sport of running (and just about everything else) for about a month. Every day as I drove home from work and watched the runners in my neighborhood, I cringed because I could not join them. It was mental agony until early March. Was I able to run the half marathon in April? Yes, with Advil and effort, and everything was killing me when I did it. In May of 2008, a debilitating ankle injury and some nasty shin splints later, I finally cracked under the pressure and decided it was time for a stride test.

I made my way over to the Big Peach Running Company in Decatur expecting to break the bank. This was a specialty store where they would test my stride and tell me the only way I could ever successfully continue my running career would be to buy their $300.00 shoe with $150.00 inserts. My palms were sweating around my credit card, but I was determined. I had signed up for a marathon and I was going to run it.

What I experienced was unlike what I had imagined. Two salespeople measured my arch and put me on a treadmill, where I ran for several minutes in all of about 12 pairs of shoes while at least one other person and I watched the way my legs moved and discussed the effectiveness of each shoe. Now I was expecting to spend $800.00. Forty-five minutes of personal attention later, I settled on a shoe I loved - the Mizuno Wave Rider, which offered some support for a mild overpronation, but not so much that I would underpronate. Or something. Who understands that stuff? I closed my eyes and asked the price hesitantly. The guy said to me "$200.00." I said "Ok." Not so bad. "I'm just kidding, they're $97.00."

Forty-five minutes of personal attention, help from two salespeople, two different types of testing, and I spent less than $100.00 on my shoes?!?!?! Yes, this really happened. And I have been satisfied with the result. Of course, I have had injuries since then. I didn't stop running. Shoes are just shoes, not the miracle cure-all for your feet and legs. However, I could feel the difference in my runs, and I wasn't getting hurt every time I hit the pavement. I love this store so much, I will not buy my shoes anywhere else, even if I find them for a better price. I tell everyone I know to go there. If you are not lucky enough to live in Atlanta and have a Big Peach of your own, by all means, go to another store, but make sure you get the stride test if you want to be serious about running, and hopefully you will find a place that is comparable.

Grade: This store gets a resounding A+ rating from me. When I was at the Atlanta Thanksgiving Half Marathon Expo last fall and saw a pair of my shoes for $80.00, I wasn't going to buy them, until I realized the stand was run by Big Peach.

Tip for the Peachtree Road Race: Bring snacks and money for more snacks. Unlike every other road race I have ever run and despite extensive sponsorship, they do not feed you at the end of the Peachtree. Your muscles need calories to recover, so be prepared by carrying a post-run snack or some cash to grab one at the Park Tavern.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you Denise! I fell in love with a pair of Asics years ago as a light runner. Now I am training and doing more in my sneakers but crying about the shin splints and changes from different surfaces on what should be light and easy runs. In LA, we have FrontRunners and I called to check if they do a stride test. They do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think of Big Peach as the scary, corporate running store and Phidippides as the fun, independent running store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my first fitting at Phidip.. and they fitted me wrong! There's something to be said for the computer camera recording you and playing that back in slow mo, and I'll firmly stand by Big Peach for properly fitting me in running shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since it was already brought up, Big Peach fitted me wrong despite their fancy equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's not foolproof, but it's also kind of an interactive process. When I ran in the Mizunos, I could feel a difference as well as see it on the screen. I also made sure we watched the screen together for every shoe I tried on, and ran in each one. It was definitely not the first shoe they suggested that turned out to be the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife and I both use Asics Gel Nimbus for hiking/backpacking. Don't know what runners think of them. I follow Jon Vonhof's blog on foot care. He does care for Ultramarathon events, and I've picked up a lot of hints that apply to hiking. You might find his blog useful: http://fixingyourfeet.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Blister Queen of the Southeast, I will second the recommendation on Vonhof's blog. His book, of the same name, is my Bible. (I checked for lightning before I typed that.)

    ReplyDelete