Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The quest for a blister-free existence. Part 1: Boots.


Flashback to Easter weekend, 2008, Cumberland Island, Georgia. I am wearing my trusty Timberland boots and REI wool socks with REI sock liners. I have been wearing Timberlands since I started hiking again in the Fall of 2005. This is my second pair, and they are perhaps not quite as snug as the previous pair. At this point I think blisters are part of life. I have survived many long and excruciating hiking and backpacking trips with at least 1-2 blisters. In the months prior to March I had been backpacking between 2 and 4 weekends each month. Typically, blisters were involved, but nothing horrifying. Until Cumberland Island.

Now, don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful and glorious 50-ish miles in 4 days over completely flat, sandy terrain (my body and feet are used to mountains, this was actually hell)... Nevermind the gnats that were so thick in the air I could not eat my meal without swallowing about 100 of them... or the bug bites that formed a belt around my waist where my backpack strap sits... this is about feet...

Day 1 was about a 14-15 mile hike to camp. My feet were torn but it wasn't the worst they have experienced. Day 2 is when it got nasty. About 2-3 miles in to our 16 mile hike I had to stop and cover my feet with a layer of gauze and duct tape. Nowhere to lie, there was nothing that was going to work at this point short of duct tape. Imagine the shape of an Ace Bandage over each foot, only completely made of duct tape. This was me. I was holding on my toenails with the stuff.

The next 3 days my feet felt like they were walking on razorblades every time I took a step. I could hear voices in my head from people telling me over the last couple months that sock liners would solve all my problems. I wanted to spit on them. I used all the gauze and duct tape in about three people's first aid kits trying to make my feet suitable to walk on. When we returned from the trip, I had to wear my Merrell clogs to work for a week because my feet were too swollen for shoes.

The post-traumatic stress had a significant effect on my hiking life. I didn't backpack for two months, and when I started back up, I would only wear running shoes, which offered limited ankle support. I immediately gave my hiking boots to my mother so I would never have to look at them again (original, snugger pair of Timberland boots was graduated to caving boots, which are still in use). I didn't even think to put boots on my feet again until around September, when I was starting to put together gear for my November trek in the Andes.

It was on a chance trip to REI to pick up something or other that I had ordered for the Andes trip that I happened to venture into footwear and see some Keens (Women's Targhee) on sale for $70. I tried them on in 6.5 and 7.0 (Note: everyone SAYS to buy hiking boots in a larger size than your normal shoes. I think this was my fatal mistake. Now I buy my hiking boots 1/2 size BELOW my normal size to prevent friction). I opted for the smaller size. They are Gore-Tex, they are cute, and they are literally the most wonderful thing I have ever put on my feet for hiking. I have done hikes ranging from 3-17 miles in these things with nary a blister, aside from the occasional tiny one on the toe that has no real effect on my hiking or running ability.

Lessons learned:

1. Sock liners suck for blistering. Two pairs of socks just means more friction. Wear one pair that is wool or Smartwool and as tight as humanly possible. I buy kids' socks now. I do not buy REI socks anymore. I love you REI, but I hate your socks with a passion that engulfs my soul.
2. Wear EVERYTHING a little tight, but not so tight it makes you lose a toenail. Small socks, in my case children's sized or extra small. (My normal shoe size is a 7 but hiking socks that say they are for 7 are usually too big.) About 1/2 size smaller on shoes/boots. Tight = Less Friction = NO BLISTERS!!!!
3. If my formula doesn't work for you, you'll just have to figure it out on your own. I took advice from EVERYONE before just deciding not to listen to anyone. If you buy shoes from REI, you can return them if you blister like a madwoman (or madman).

10 comments:

  1. I haven't had blisters in a long time and my only secret is wool socks and trail runners. I would never advocate undersized shoes for anyone especially on longer days. Your feet will swell and have nowhere to go. The general consensus is 1/2-1 full size larger than street shoes. Not sure how much it matters for 3 mile days but when you're doing 15-20+ mile days you'll need the swelling room. I think you needing undersized shoes is a fit problem. Ideally a shoe should have a good snug cup at the heel so there's minimal slippage while having a roomier toebox. You shouldn't need to undersize to get this with the right shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Point #3 is the most important part of this blog. Everyone has to figure out what best fits their personal situation. However, I never would have thought to size down until I did it because I all I had ever been told was to size up. I could never make it through those 17 mile hikes without sizing down. The advice to size up was literally the worst advice I have ever taken. I did it with several different shoes at various distances with the same result. It was the same with running shoes. Started wearing them tighter and the blisters were gone. Maybe the foot swelling thing is caused by all the blisters from sizing up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you just have unique feet. :-) I measure out to around a 9.5 EEEE but I've worn 11s in trail runners on 50+ mile weekends and 11 boots on the 75ish mile trip I did in Montana. No blisters from either. I know if I wore a 9 in anything I'd wind up with permanent damage. Probably hammer toes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a good idea to give up shoes if they still cause you blisters after a few hikes... blisters after the first hike are acceptable but if they reappear again and again, that it means the shoes simply don't fit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought my first pair of Vibram Five Fingers today and they're sized to fit tight. Of course, they wear like a sock so it's a little different but still...they fit tight. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking into the Vibrams for kayaking. If I buy them they will definitely be subject matter here. I have heard great things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first heard about Five Fingers about a year ago. They are pretty cool. I can see them being great water shoes. I wonder how they would hold up being used as rock climbing shoes.

    I've had my Merrells since 2005 and the tip of the rubber sole is starting to come apart. I think they started breaking down during Grand Canyon...lol. They say your boots are good for x amount of miles. I have no clue how many miles I've put on those suckers. Man, I've been to Kilimanjaro and lots and lots and lots of hiking and backpacking trips since then. I think I'm going to go to REI and get fitted for some new boots soon. This time I'm going to get gortex boots. They say Vasque are really good boots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These Vasque boots look awesome! http://www.rei.com/product/706758

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had Vibram Five finger shoes for a couple of years now and love them. I'm not a tramper but I regularly walk 2-3 miles on trails in them comfortably. They are the closest thing to walking in bare feet I have found - and bare feet is my transportation mode of choice. I seldomn wore shoes growing up and lament the foot prisons US society expects of me in public.

    The Five Fingers are great on rocks (wet or dry), but absolutely terrible in mud. They are also great in a kayak where foot room tends to be at a premium.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best way to avoid blisters is to hike a lot and get hard feet. I also wear sock liners, but like you say - everyone has to discover their own method for blister prevention. The truth is, I occassionally get blisters even with sock liners, but it very dependent on the terrain I'm hiking.

    ReplyDelete