Tuesday, June 2, 2009

In pursuit of great caving shoes, Part 2



J and I were en route from Indianapolis and thought we'd try our luck at the outlet mall for trail shoes or caving boots. We hit the jackpot! At the Columbia outlet they happened to have a new batch of Montrail Torre boots on the table. I'm already familiar with the brand as I wear the Blue Ridge line for my backpacking. I quickly googled the Torre to find reviews for its performance with wet rock, and was happy to find corroborating reviews for Montrail's claims that they are perfect for "challenging terrain [and] trekking across snow fields."

Snow fields and mud in caves often demand the same kind of performance, so that was good enough for us. Montrail also says:
  • Non-loading lugged Vibram Super Trek rubber outsole for great traction and durability.
  • Rubber reinforced heel and toe for exceptional durability.
  • Premium leather upper with suspended tongue construction and bootie lining keeps feet dry and comfortable in a variety of conditions.
  • Injected lasting board with steel shank provides great support and comfortable flex while carrying heavy loads.

All that tells me they will hold up through many caves without shredding on the exterior, while protecting my feet in tough conditions. I am happy to report that I wore my new Torres in Cemetery Pit last weekend and they delivered as promised. I did not slip, I was comfortable all day, and I felt very much in control of what my feet were doing. I will follow up with a second review after I've gotten some good use out of them to see if the initial assessment holds. In the meantime…Yessssss!

Pros: Cheap at the outlet; Great for wet, icky conditions; durable to withstand lots of abuse

Cons: Expensive if not found on super sale

Score: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment