Wednesday, January 20, 2010

high country in the not-so-high country (atlanta)



I often speak of my preference for smaller retailers (vs. the Big Box Guys), and try to make it a habit to support smaller companies whenever I can (especially when they happen to be stellar outdoors people). That said, I am admittedly long overdue in reviewing the folks over at High Country Outfitters.

They have, in my experience, exemplified every reason I tend to cite as my motivation for sticking with the locals:
• Great, fantastic, fabulous customer service
• Experienced and honest advice about gear and outdoor activities
• Supportive of, and involved in, the local community
• Solid products that they firmly stand behind

In a nutshell, I trust them to lead me down the right path. But I'm sure you want the long story of it:

I've now had multiple points of contact with High Country: I chatter with them on Twitter, I've shopped in their store, and I've attended their events both in store and elsewhere. I've always had a positive experience with them.

I just bought a chalk bag for my newest activity, climbing, and got tons of advice from two of the salespeople about which one to select. I asked "Why?" many times, and got well thought out, rock-solid advice about what I needed, as well as encouragement and information about where I should go play. When I purchased a locking biner for rigging a vertical cave a few months ago, I got out-of-the-box thinking about which would best suit my needs and I've been quite satisfied (Seriously, try asking for a drunk-redneck-proof biner and see what happens! Not your standard question by any stretch). 

They also tend to host and sponsor great events. (I recently attended their showing of the Reel Rock Tour and a fascinating lecture with Ken Kamler). Cheap yoga on Sunday mornings, gear rentals, trips & instruction, fundraisers...the list is endless.

No, they don't have the same return policy as REI but I've yet to find anyone else who does. Their policy is still what I would consider quite reasonable at 60 days and the suggestion to call them if you still want to talk about it. And, no, they don't carry every brand. I have a friend who was recently looking for a very low end brand of climbing shoe for her entry pair (and could not find it there). This all goes back to them stocking gear they really stand behind, which is what I expect from most boutique retailers. 

Thanks, guys and gals, for showing folks how it's done.

PS> For those folks not in ATL, you can order from them online.

3 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about this place for a long time! Thanks for letting me know I should definitely check 'em out!

    Also... what time is this free Sunday yoga? I'd be interested! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops! Thought it was free, but apparently it's 5$. That's almost-free. See their website for deets.
    http://www.highcountryoutfitters.com/highcountry/dept.asp?dept_id=3616

    High Country Yoga
    Come enjoy a relaxing morning of yoga with Gina our SCW certified Yoga instructor and receive a 20% discount on any regularly priced item of your choice. Sunday Mornings, 11am -12pm Cost: $5.00

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a more beginner oriented Hatha Yoga. Pretty relaxed and the instructor didn't mind that we did some more advanced stuff. The $5 is worth the 20% discount if you need to buy something they have.

    ReplyDelete