Monday, September 21, 2009

rain, rain go away



In light of the recent downpour the Atlanta area has been receiving, I thought it fitting to review my new favourite anorak by Turfer.

I found this beauty on Amazon.com just before a backpacking trip up to Grandfather Mountain and figured I'd give it a shot because, frankly, it is so cheap.

I wanted something that was breathable, budget-conscious, wind and water resistant, and (I'll be honest) a fun colour. I read a few of the reviews and felt it might very well fit the bill; I have not been disappointed.

--> It doesn't have fancy Gore-tex claims to fame, nor did I bother spraying it down with waterproofing stuff. I figure there's a point where you're just gonna be wet if you're in a downpour in the woods, at which point you need to embrace the wet or climb in a shelter. Up to that point, this jacket has done a great job in light drizzle and when I need a layer of protection from the wind. It breathes, too, so I don't end up suffocating in *ahem* perspiration.

--> It is compact, and if you're easily amused like me you'll love that it folds up into itself (the front pocket doubles as a pouch). It is lightweight, and not something I'm going to think twice about shoving into my pack at the last minute. I have a fancy Helly Hansen rain jacket, but I actually prefer this anorak for its compact size/weight.

--> It is cheap. I had a friend who recently needed to ramp up on gear for hiking in the Adirondacks but was dealing with that whole "money is finite, yay budgets" thing. She was pleased with the price and ultimately with its performance on her trip.

There are fancier rain jackets on the market, and better wind jackets I'm sure, but for $20 this will get you covered quickly and lightly.

Be warned, the amazon reviews are correct: it is quite largely sized so you might order on the smaller side.

5 comments:

  1. That's a windshirt. For cheap rainwear driducks is the ticket. It's 100% waterproof and cheap but not durable for off-trail use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as i said, it is water resistant, not water proof. and, it happens to be durable as i can confirm after a few spills on the trail.

    i noted there are other options, but this works *great* in my opinion for light drizzle and wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, i *wanted* the option of windshirt and able to withstand light drizzle. multifunctional, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All windshirts I know of are DWR coated and can withstand light drizzle. The Patagonia Houdini can withstand short downpours but it's not cheap unless you find it on a good sale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this in a pinch while gearing up for hiking in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks and as mentioned it does well for what it is. Light weight, keeps the wind out, protects from light rain, and rather inexpensive compared to other options. I think my favorite part is how light weight it is and so easy to ball up and toss anywhere. Sure there are other "better" options out there, but for $20 it is worth the low price. :)

    ReplyDelete