Thursday, May 6, 2010

Super-Fast Drying Pants from Columbia ROCK


I nabbed a pair of the Columbia Titanium Omni-Dry Silver Ridge capris on a sale rack last summer, mostly because I happened to find them cheap and they seemed like a good lightweight option for summer hikes and playtime.

WOW. Gotta love that omni dry technology.

I had an unfortunate accident involving spray adhesive and these pants, wherein I (of course) managed to get my pants *and* the object I was trying to apply adhesive to. I'd blame the wind, but many of you know I just happen to be very talented with disasters. So, I took some adhesive remover and applied it straight to the pants (I don't recommend this at home, for obvious potential colorfast issues) ... then I "washed" them while I was wearing them in the sink with the classic cupped-hand-full-of-water-plus-papertowels method typically reserved for quick fixes when you're not home with a change of clothes. My pants happen to be black, so I figured if I looked damp for the rest of the day it wouldn't be *that* noticeable. Damp equated to soaking wet in this instance, and I will attest that my *pants* dried faster than my *skin* did after the generous soaking.

Imagine the implications of that on the trail!!!! Seriously. Awesome. Fabric.

I love that I can roll them up and make them shorter, too, though I'll say the fabric is thin enough that they don't feel too stuffy. Southern heat can be pretty brutal, and these are my go-to pants for the really bad days. (I'm sure they're doing some wicking, also.) I've tripped a few times in them, too, and so far haven't ripped them. Bonus! (I bet that will come later today after I've posted this ;-)

Looking at the Columbia website, they have this to say about them:
Featuring bottom hem adjustability, the Silver Ridge Stretch Capri can be rolled-up into an above-the knee short for serious cooling power. Omni-Dry® advanced evaporation wicks sweat away from your skin and encourages air circulation. With mobility-facilitating gussets and 2-way comfort stretch fabric, this über-comfy capri is perfect for high-octane activities. The rear yoke curves to flatter and harbors hidden vents to keep the cool-air flowing. Plus, you can stow this piece into the zip-closed security pocket for ultimate packability. Sits just below the hip. Active fit.

My pair actually sit higher on my waist than I'd prefer, but it sounds like they may have updated the fit this year to sit a little lower. Try before you buy, just to be sure they're hitting where you want them to. The legs are great; my motion never seems restricted with the cut, even though they are nicely slimming/flattering.

To buy them all over again, I would be ok with full price for the pure awesomeness these hold for summer. If you can find them on sale, even better. (Quick googling says yes, you CAN find them on sale. Just so ya know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment