Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Are you gonna drink that?


I bought the Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter almost a year before I started backpacking. As the trip binges started (somewhere between 2-4 backpacking trips per month), I began to see a pattern. Almost everyone I went on trips with had this filter.

At an average price of about $70.00, it's not the cheapest piece of gear on the market, and also not the most amazing. While I myself have never had a problem with it, several friends on a ten day Yosemite trip managed to break two of these bad boys, though I have heard talk of "user error" playing a hand in that. (They also broke a steri-pen.) The fact remains, most of them still use a Hiker Pro. I myself have not yet managed to break one, despite my uncanny ability to break or damage almost anything, and I believe this counts for something...

I have filtered from rivers, streams, water pumps, a trickle on a rock or even a dirty puddle in a pinch (because when someone on the trip drinks half a box of wine and gets massively dehydrated halfway through the hike out, you will do most anything), and have always managed to come out with drinkable water. It works relatively quickly, and is relatively lightweight. I would say this warrants a recommendation. Though, at the advice of EB: Don't pump too hard. You might break the handle.

Notes on use: Keep the two tubes separate to avoid contamination. You don't want to defeat the purpose of using a water filter by using it incorrectly. Also, run some water through before pulling it in your water bottle/bladder each time you use it. (You will understand why when you do this.)

Grade (Taking into account the Yosemite stories): B-

5 comments:

  1. in our defense, we only broke one handle. i can't honestly remember why we lost the other, though i think there was a decision to send one back b/c we had filter overkill. but i still firmly stand by the advice to not manhandle the handle. (that's what she said? eek!)

    ps. steri pen was not user error. just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha sorry about that. Meant to imply that more than one filter type was broken on the trip but got carried away with the stylistic elements of the post (i.e. it sounded funnier this way. Oops!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used the Hiker Pro for almost 3 years now and still love it.. After two years of heavy use the top of the handle broke, but REI wanted to replace the whole darn thing. I was thinking they would call Katadyn and order a part, but REI insisted and I was not going to argue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a gravity filter that uses the Katadyn catridge. No pumping necessary and no parts to break. It's also lighter. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have a Katahdin filter (won it at an AOC social, ha ha). After two years of use, no major complaints yet, except I wish it weren't so darn clunky and, on a more frivolous note, colored like something reminescent of that bargain-bin sweatshirt you bought during that cold day at the beach.

    ReplyDelete